Law Library Faculty Ponderings

As we transition to tenure track law library faculty at my institution, I can't help my ponder this

Faculty members and librarians disagree on the importance of working together, according to a survey conducted by Library Journal and Gale, the library arm of Cengage Learning. The two organizations surveyed about 1,000 faculty members and librarians, finding that the latter group valued cooperation more strongly. Virtually every librarian surveyed, or 98 percent of those respondents, said they wish for better communication with faculty, while not even half of surveyed faculty members, or 45 percent, said the same. About one-quarter of faculty members, or 27 percent, said they don't believe cooperation is necessary at all.

Why do I care so deeply about a profession that no one else seems to care much about? My rose-colored glasses see the library as the heart of any true academic institution.

With tenure track means the traditional teaching, scholarship, and service expected of faculty. I am so proud of my institution for loving their library so much that they are willing to promote and support librarianship in this way.

And this essay offers wonderful information for any professor - whether of the librarian ilk or other. I found 21 of the 22 points pertinent to my work -- with the exception of #20.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For The Love Of Archives

AALL/LexisNexis Call for Papers 2019-2020 Now Open!

US News Scholarship Impact Issues